Applicant: Çanakkale History and Culture Foundation
Project Partner: Çanakkale Governorship
By the project, the aim is to carry into effect 120 kilometres road from Çanakkale to Assos including ancient roads within the sustainable tourism concept, to make the hikers and cyclists use the road, and to bring social and economic development along the way.
Travellers nowadays prefer to take vacations where they get to appreciate the cultural, historical and natural values simultaneously, and where they can spend time with the locals and experience the provincial life. In this context, trekking and biking trails incorporate the historical, natural and cultural values and form an important part of sustainable tourism, and so their numbers increase by the day.
Works were started to determine the hiking routes within the scope of the Troy Culture Route Project. In this context, two stages were identified. The first stage of 120 km length starting from Çanakkale Troy and ending in Assos will be completed within the scope of Future is in Tourism. Thus, a cultural route will be established at international standards, linking the archaeological, historical, cultural and natural values of the region.
Signing, marking and work environment cleaning will be done for hiking and cycling routes on the Troy Culture Route. The route map will be prepared, and it will be accessible via the internet and Global Positioning System (GPS) based applications as well as the map and guidebook. In addition, tourism establishments and initiatives on the route will be marked and made visible on this map.
Within the scope of the project that covers a broad area including the route of Çanakkale, Çıplak Village, Yeniköy, Kumburnu, Çamoba, Kalafat, Dalyan Village Antik Liman, Tavaklı, Babadere, Kösedere, Tuzla, Gülpınar, Kocaköy, Bademli, Koyunevi, Balabanlı, Bektaş, Kuruoba, Korubaşı, Behramkale ve Assos ancient port, local community will be provided with trainings including sustainable tourism, home-boarding, souvenirs, legislation, history surrounding them, protecting cultural and natural values.
What will the Troy Culture Route provide?
- It will create a linkage between the cultural and natural assets of the region with a route, thus contributing to the diversification of tourism activities.
- It will increase the travel time of visitors, as a result will revive the tourism and sub-sectors such as accommodation, food and beverage, souvenirs, agricultural products in the region and contribute to local economy.
- It will make the rich cultural and natural values of the region more visible and accessible.
- The outputs of the region that currently relies on agriculture and stockbreeding will be integrated to tourism.
- Along with the increase of existing tourism potential in the region in the medium and long term, the capacities of hotels, hostels, restaurants, cafes and similar facilities will increase, and it will contribute for these facilities to provide services with an understanding of sustainable tourism.
- It will enable local establishments and the local people to have more roles in tourism.